Touring around the country's best chocolate shops, Galler was one of the places that left an impression on me. The professionalism of their staff, the taste of their chocolates, and most importantly how they handled their delicious chocolates... I wanted to try some of their bites on the first floor.
Located on Zalka highway, an orange-faced shop faces the Yared steel warehouse, a chocolate shop, but also a coffee place all at once. Up on the first floor, with a view of the highway, this luxurious spot is a guaranteed space for enjoyment and fun.
Up the stairs, enchanted by lounge music, a square space awaits. Old style tiles featuring the company colors cover the floor, a large chocolate vitrine decorates the main wall facing the entrance while a bar is used to prepare the drinks. Close to the window, four sofas are perfect for a business meeting or a quick hot chocolate in the afternoon.
While we took the stairs, the waiter followed, no smile, no welcoming... I thought they were closed. The frst thing I heard after that was:"Pictures are not allowed" which I respectfully preferred not to respond to. Not the first impression I expected from Galler.
The first impression:
- A beautiful setup, with tablecloths and a chocolate bar for each guest.
- White tables, leather chairs, glass under-plates, nylon placemats, stainless steel cutlery, thin glass cups, a bar with high stools and black reflective facades on the walls and ceiling: luxury and finesse.
- I loved the ambiance, and most importantly their chocolates and crepes. While we waited, fresh aromas filled the space as cooks were preparing the orders.
- The same waiter took the order, prepared the drink, and baked the food... All while we waited, I’m not sure if they were a little unprepared for guests.
- Hot chocolates
- Tea and Coffee
- Lates et Mochas
- Alcooholic Chocolate drinks
- Fresh juices
- Beer and Drinks
- Signature Breakfast
- Salted crepes
- Sweet crepes
- Fresh salads
- Hot Chocolate LBP8,000: Served in a glass cup, the hot chocolate, which was promised as a dark chocolate, didn't impress me much. It's a good drink, but not something intense and full bodied like you expect Galler to offer.
- Choco-Mandarine (chocolate, Cointreau and cognac): LBP15,000. A chocolate color, intense alcohol, balanced favors, enjoyable but not something for early in the morning.
- Smoked salmon crepe laid on creamy cheese with saviar and served with white chocolate sauce LBP15,000. When I read white chocolate, I was intrigued to try the salmon. Two small pieces of crepe, generously filled with salmon slices and decorated with lines of white chocolate and sprinkled with crispy bits of tobiko and served with a green salad with cherry tomatoes on the side. Interesting! The texture is nice, the salmon is very good and the white chocolate adds a touch of flavor and finesse.
- Galler Gauffre with 70% dark chocolate LBP9,000: "Small" was the first impression and "awesome" was the second as I took the first bite. A small rectangle of crunchy dough filled with melted dark chocolate. Very, very nice textures and a strong full-bodied flavor that will make you come back to Galler for it.
- 70% Galler chocolate crepe served with mixed berries, garnished with white chocolate and ice cream LBP15,000: Bravo! I wished this could have been even bigger. A small portion, but a guaranteed cocktail of enjoyment. A thin crepe, carefully toasted and filled with a dark chocolate cream which is so smooth. On the side there’s a pure mixed berry sorbet, which didn't want to melt. That's an ice cream I want to buy for my kids... Unique if I may say. I was told the ice cream is from Galler - that was not convincing at all and I'm sure it's locally produced - but believe me, this is not your usual ice cream. Some crushed walnuts add a little texture and finesse.
- When I came around the first time, I was was amazed by the professionalism of the employees. They were super attentive. But, I was shocked by the sleepy staff up on the first floor... I'll avoid saying more about their lack of professionalism.
- The experience is so enjoyable and smoke free
- Even though the portions are small, the prices are reasonable
- The food is very tasty
I would suggest that the staff be more prepared to welcome guests at anytime... One would expect the same service up and down... especially that their crepes and chocolates are truly worth trying.