Visiting Dubai for GulFood, I was introduced to Kaddoum, a honey produced in Lebanon with such love and dedication shown in every drop of it. Kaddoum has made it in our Box of May and to my personal kitchen.
The Story: This is the mid of the 1970’s, Beirut is torn by war, and many Lebanese are tormented by its tumult. Antoine Kaddoum’s father was then preoccupied with one thought, that of protecting his family; it is in this context that he and his family returned to their beloved home village Kafer, Jbeil. The 10 year old Antoine found pleasure and sports in the beautiful nature of the village, yet he also stumbled upon another treasure, one so well-kept by his grandfather the jars for bee hiving. At the cost of few bee stings, Antoine and his friends poked the jar to get the honey. When caught by his grandfather, Antoine learned his first bee hiving lesson: “The honey is yours, but don’t harm the bees”, Antoine’s grandfather warned. These words would become the golden rule Antoine Kaddoum still follows nowadays: "ensuring the best environment for the bees is the key for the best quality of honey."
Today, Kaddoum Honey became a first-class 100% natural high quality honey. Thanks to a large variety of Lebanese wildflower, herbs, forest, and thyme, Kaddoum Honey has unique flavors and is the result of a careful selection process involving the best honey varieties from all over Lebanon.
5 SECRETS YOU NEVER KNEW ABOUT HONEY
- Golden Liquid: Honey is rich in vitamins, minerals and antioxidants making it a natural source of energy and vitality on your table.
- All-Natural Energy Drink: Honey is an excellent source of all-natural energy at just 17 grams of carbohydrates per tablespoon. This natural unprocessed sugar — fructose and glucose — directly enter the bloodstream and can deliver a quick boost of energy.
- Sleep Aid: Similar to sugar, honey can cause a rise in insulin and release serotonin — a neurotransmitter that improves mood and happiness — then into melatonin, which is a sleep aid.
- Scar Fader: Honey is said to lighten skin, and its anti-inflammatory and antibacterial compounds help to decrease the appearances of scars and increase healing and tissue regeneration.
- Hair Highlighter: The enzyme glucose oxidase in honey slowly releases hydrogen peroxide, an ingredient known to lighten hair color.