The World’s 50 Best Restaurants, sponsored by S.Pellegrino and Acqua Panna, has announced the list of restaurants ranked from 51st to 100th in 2015. This unprecedented announcement, coming less than a week before The World’s 50 Best Restaurants awards event itself, is part of the annual celebration of global gastronomy that recognises restaurants around the world for their culinary prowess.
- 11 new restaurants claim their place on the 51-100 list
- Canada features on this list for the first time since 2010
- USA boasts nine entries
- China and the UK have four entries each
- Madrid’s Diverxo climbs 35 places from 94 to 59
- Nine of Asia’s 50 Best Restaurants 2015 feature in the 51-100 list
- Tegui, ninth on Latin American’s 50 Best Restaurants 2014, is a new entry to the list at No.83
- South Africa’s Tasting Room andUAE’sZuma tie at No.88
The 51-100 list results from the same voting process that creates the 1-50 ranking. It highlights the diverse nature of gastronomy with new restaurants, cooking techniques and individual talents discovered alongside perennial favourites that demonstrate enduring quality.
This year’s 51-100 list boasts 11 first-time entrants from restaurants across the globe including Copenhagen’s Amass, Lisbon’s Belcanto and Mikla in Istanbul. Not only is fresh talent making its mark on the list but multiple mainstays have retained their presence including UAE’s Zuma and South Africa’s The Tasting Room, which both occupy the equal No.88 spot.
For the first time since 2010, Canada features on The World’s 50 Best Restaurants 51-100 list. Joe Beef of Montreal makes its debut, appearing at No.81. Opened by chefs David McMillan and Frédéric Morin in 2005, the restaurant has become renowned for its culinary excellence and much-loved menu including dry-aged steaks and fresh seafood dishes. The last Canadian restaurants to appear on the list were Langdon Hall in Cambridge, Ontario and Calgary’s Rouge in 2010.
With nine restaurants in the 51-100 list, including two new entries, the USA has many reasons to celebrate alongside its Canadian neighbour. Last year’s One To Watch, Saison in San Francisco, jumps 13 places to No.56. New York eatery Estela makes its first appearance on the list at No.90.
Nine restaurants from this year’s Asia’s 50 Best Restaurants Awards, sponsored by S.Pellegrino & Acqua Panna, are celebrated in the 51-100 list including No.77, Indian Accent of New Delhi - the first Indian restaurant to feature since 2012. Indian Accent appeared at No.22 at Asia’s 50 Best Restaurants Awards 2015, where it was also presented with another accolade; The S.Pellegrino Best Restaurant in India.
Argentina’s Tegui, located in Buenos Aires, was named the Best Restaurant in Argentina at Latin America’s 50 Best Restaurants 2014, sponsored by
S.Pellegrino & Acqua Panna, and makes its first appearance on the World’s 51-100 list at No.83.
China and the United Kingdom celebrate four restaurants each in the 51- 100 list with 81⁄2 Otto e Mezzo Bombana of Hong Kong and London’s The Clove Club claiming the top spot for their countries at No.62 and No.55, respectively.
Australia, France and Spain each boast three ranked restaurants in their respective regions. Madrid’s Diverxo makes the most significant move up the ranking; jumping 35 places from No.94 to this year’s No.59, while Bilbao’s Nerua makes its first appearance on the list at No.68. Australia’s Brae and Sepia celebrate their first year in the 51-100 list and France’s La Maison Troisgros re-emerges at No.78 following its previous appearance in 2013.
The 51-100 list recognises 24 countries around the world across six continents and, along with The World’s 50 Best Restaurants, provides an annual barometer to the greatest gastronomic experiences across the globe. The World’s 50 Best Restaurants, sponsored by S.Pellegrino and Acqua Panna, will be announced at the annual awards ceremony at the Guildhall in London on 1st June, 2015.
William Drew, Group Editor of The World’s 50 Best Restaurants, said: “This is the first year we have shared the 51-100 list ahead of The World’s 50 Best Restaurants Awards ceremony and we are thrilled to shine a light on the global gastronomic talent, new and recurring, that makes up this list. We feel that each and every entry should be celebrated and we are privileged and proud to play a part in the journey of culinary discovery that is The World’s 50 Best Restaurants.”
- 100 Manresa Los Gatos, USA
- 99 Lung King Heen Hong Kong, China
- 98 Vila Joya Albufeira, Portugal
- 97 Esperanto Stockholm, Sweden
- 96 Mikla Istanbul, Turkey
- 95 Fu1015 Shanghai, China
- 94 Masa New York, USA
- 93 Jungsik Seoul, South Korea
- 92 St John London, UK
- 91 Belcanto Lisbon, Portugal
- 90 Estela New York, USA
- 88=The Tasting Room at Le Quartier Français Franschhoek, S. Africa
- 88=Zuma Dubai, UAE
- 87 Brae Birregurra, Australia
- 86 Hajime Osaka, Japan
- 85 L’Effervescence Tokyo, Japan
- 84 Sepia Sydney, Australia
- 83 Tegui Buenos Aires, Argentina
- 82 Le Louis XV Monte Carlo, Monaco
- 81 Joe Beef Montreal, Canada
- 80 Daniel New York, USA
- 79 Ryunique Seoul, South Korea
- 78 La Maison Troisgros Roanne, France
- 77 Indian Accent New Delhi, India
- 76 Fu He Hui Shanghai, China
- 75 Coi San Francisco, USA
- 74 Jaan Singapore, Singapore
- 73 The Fat Duck Bray, UK
- 72 Restaurant At Meadowood St Helena, USA
- 71 De Librije Zwolle, Netherland
- 70 Waku Ghin Singapore, Singapore
- 69 Momofuku Ko New York, USA
- 68 Nerua Bilbao, Spain
- 67 Nomad New York, USA
- 66 Amass Copenhagen, Denmark
- 65 Combal Zero Rivoli, Italy
- 64 Maaemo Oslo, Norway
- 63 L’Atelier Saint-Germain de Joël Robuchon Paris, France
- 62 8 1/2 Otto e Mezzo Bombana Hong Kong, China
- 61 Martin Berasategui Lasarte-Oria, Spain
- 60 Hedone London, UK
- 59 Diverxo Madrid, Spain
- 58 Quay Sydney, Australia
- 57 Septime Paris, France
- 56 Saison SanFrancisco, USA
- 55 The Clove Club London, UK
- 54 Hof Van Cleve Kruishoutem, Belgium
- 53 Hertog Jan Bruges, Belgium
- 52 Tim Raue Berlin, Germany
- 51 Geranium Copenhagen, Denmark